Walks And Walking – St Catherines Oratory Isle of Wight
On our recent trip to the Isle of Wight we also popped up to the Pepperpot, more widely known as St Catherines Oratory.
St Catherines Oratory Isle of Wight is a distinctive medieval tower built in 1328. Although octagonal on the outside it only has four inner walls and stands on one of the highest points of the Island. It forms part of a series of cliff top monuments known as the Tennyson Heritage Coast and is jointly owned by English Heritage and the National Trust.
St Catherines Oratory was to be used as a lighthouse but due to the mist and fog that covers St Catherines Hill it was largely ineffective. On a clear day like the one we had the views are magnificent. We visited St Catherines Oratory on the way to Blackgang Chine so it’s the perfect way to start your day with a short brisk walk up the steep hill to the top!